Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Monolouge; Questions I Ask: Gay

A few days ago, when I was on my way out from the studio to go get some water, I bumped into an old lady at the corridor asking for directions to the loo. It may sound like nothing to you, but did you know I work in a house with only 10 employees (including the bossman) and it's the 7th month of the lunar calendar? And as far as I know, I've been here 3 months and I don't recall having an old lady as a colleague. So where did this old lady come from? Creepy huh? Well, after a split second, then it accrue to me that she was the bossman's mother. Haha...

Back to the main topic. A few hours later, when I was in the loo (hmm... my mind then to wonder and ask silly and weird questions when I'm doing my business. Is it only me or do all girls do that?), I though of something. You see, being in the A&D industry for nearly 6 years now, it's very common for us to meet gay people, regardless male or female. My first 2 Cd's were gay, my 2nd boss is gay, I have a few ex-colleagues who are too, and my current boss? You get the point. I never had a problem with that. So what if they are attracted to the same gender? Does this make them less human then we are? I don't think so. It's not a crime right?

Anyway, then it hit me. Does the bossman's mother know about her son? From what I know? He is the only son and he still stays with her. He is the one who usually sends and accompany her to her check ups. So? You ask? Well, for the (old) Chinese, they believe being either the only son of the family or even the eldest plays a very important role. He is the one who has to hold the responsibility to continue the family's legacy, spread the family's seed. The bossman is around 40+ of age. He is considered a successful man, but does his mother always wonder why isn't he married yet? Has he told her? Did she accept the truth? How does she feel?

Then, I start to make a list of people I know that are gay, starting from school. Yup. A few. No biggie. I accept them for who they are. Collage. A few too. I also accept them for who they are. My working life. By now, I'm already used to it. Then the list came down to my family. As far as I am aware off, no one in may family is. Nada. Zilch.

So, then I asked myself. Could I accept the news if it were to be my brother? My cousin? My child? I don't have an answer. I really don't know. Could I accept it or not.

How about you then? Yes or No?

No comments:

Post a Comment